Saturday, November 13, 2004

What the big fuss about Halo 2?

It's out. You probably have it. You're probably enjoying it. You may or may not be completely consumed by the hype. You may or may not be so blinded by it that you cannot see some obvious faults.

Firstly the vehicles. I don't see why they kept the awful FPS controls when they could've used normal racing controls. It's not easy to get into, in fact I don't remember the game ever telling you how to drive. Are the simply assuming all that play Halo 2 played Halo? Developers should never assume those who play their latest sequel played the games that preceeded it.

Also for some reason they've decided not to allow a bots option. Not everybody wants to use/can afford Live! Not everybody can set up a 16 player lan every night. You may only bee playing with a mate or a few friends. No bots mean you can't make the tally 16. And forget about practicing, you only have the campaign for that. Since the campaign has loads of differences from the multiplayer it shouldn't be considered practice. A quick skirmish is also out of the question. Bots have been available in Deathmatch FPS since Perfect Dark so there's no excuse for leaving them out.

Halo had these faults. They haven't been fixed. It's still great but I don't see what so special about it. It seems like a counter-strike for console gamers (yes I know CS came out too. I'm talking about the way some people go on about it). What I'm getting at is that many who play CS go on about it like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Essentially it created people like ROB (read on for a while). I see a whole new group of people like that for Halo appearing, especially at the Exterminatus now forums. Just look at how they've reacted to my comments about Halo 2. Completely OTT.

I love Halo 2. It's a great game. It's just not THAT great (read the topics at the EN forums to find out what I mean).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home