Saturday, September 10, 2005

Taking Advantage of the ignorant.

If there's one thing I really can't stand it's companies like Jamster and Ringtoneking. Yes I know slating them's been done to death but I felt like commenting after hearing yet another Jamster ad.

Now it wouldn't be so bad if their ads weren't on every channel, 3 or 4 times every ad break.

I don't want your rip off service for things I can get off the net for free. You can't just get one thing, no you have to join a club. Spend £3 a day on crap (if you want it, you get charged either way) unless you text them back.

Well it's the perfect business isn't it. You send people some MIDI/MP3/GIF/JPEG files to an ignorant person and make them join a subscription service. All you need is a server and you're off. You barely need employees.

The thing is you can get all this stuff with a WAP phone for free if you know what you're looking for. Considering WAP phones have been a standard since well as long as I remember I can't see why people don't know this.

For a colour wallpaper pop the URL of an image file in your wap browser and save the file. Easy as pie.

For example this is my wallpaper. I scanned and cropped it from my Sonic Heroes triple threat CD. Popped it on my webspace (or use imageshack). Now right click the image. Choose the option "Properties". You should see a web address. Pop that in your WAP browser and that wallpaper is yours.

For polyphonic ringtones do the same for MIDI files
For Reals it's MP3 I think

Easy isn't it? And to think people spend lots of money on this. Low costs + plenty of sales = lots of profits. Lots of profits = more money spent on advertising = Crazy frog 3 or 4 times every ad break.

So please whoever you are, don't buy Jamster/Ringtoneking/etc products and do it yourself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dom said...

Pretty much all the wankers in my school have jamster going off every other second.

Nice to see another north east england blog.

Sat Sept 10, 12:33:00 am BST  
Blogger Master hunter said...

Technically it's north west, but sometimes they do feel like the same region.

Sat Sept 10, 12:36:00 am BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home