Sunday, September 04, 2005

Do I have crap tastes or have the standard for things gone down?

My folks still had a week in tenerife so I had the house of myself the past week. With the TV free I found myself watching the ocassional movie, including 3 I hadn't seen before but I always wanted to.

Kill Bill Vol 1

For some reason I avoided this. I now see I was right to do so. This is nothing more than Over the Top Gore and Violence. This is the plot. The main Character is beaten up and her unborn child killed on her wedding day. When she recovers from her near death she remembers everything and goes on a rampage killing the five responsible for that incident. She kills two in the movie.

That's it, oh there's a back story for the main enemy but the rest is pure OTT violence.

So I ask why is this great? Enjoyable yes but so OTT. I fail to see why it gets the praise it does. A bit like GTA, a great game but the success and praise it gets is much more than it deserves, and you get the feeling that's because of the Violence.

Lost in Translation

To be honest it may be unfair to judge this after missing the start, and if there's important gold stuff at the start that justifies it's praise I'll take back what I'm about to say.

It's just that nothing seems to happen. Good looking 20 something woman meets up with a 40 something man. Both seem lost in their new location, Japan, but entertain themselves by hanging out with each other. A friendship develops but they eventually separate when the man leaves.

How did they make that a movie? Scenes of silence. So many scenes where nothing actually happens besides the character staring into emptiness.

There are some notable funny moments but that's it.

How is this critically acclaimed? It's just on the better side of Average.

Scooby Doo 2

The best of the three films as for once I didn't have high expectations. A movie you can enjoy no matter what age you are and is overall a lot of fun. Captures the Spirit of Scooby Doo perfectly.

Now about a year ago I had seen 21 Grams. A really rubbish movie that was critically acclaimed. It was full of pointless scenes, Graditous nudity and confusing plot (If she wanted the person responsible to pay why didn't she press charges earlier on). Randomised for a arty effect, it served no purpose. Compare to Memento where the twist is in the middle thus the random scene order had a purpose.

So the point of this post. 21 Grams, Lost in Translation and Kill Bill Vol 1 are all very overrated IMO. Am I wrong? Is there some genius I'm missing to justify the praise they got? Or has the Quality standard dropped considerably?

It's not just movies. Music these days seems to blend together and bands no longer stand out. TV's most high profile new comedy "Little Britain" turned out to be so shit it completely removes my faith in the British Public. I had to see Futurama die out yet this shit exists on terrestial prime time?

And why hasn't the Reality TV bubble burst yet? Why is TV consumed with Reality TV, Soaps and Documentaries when we're crying out for a comedy to rival the brilliance of Only Fools, Father Ted and Red Dwarf.

I throw down the Gauntlet. I want to see more TV, Movies and Music that are actually good and for critics to appreciate them more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home