Friday, March 11, 2005

Red nose day and other misc crap

Today is Red nose day here in the UK. Like Children in need it's a day devoted to comedy, comedy designed to raise money. I used to love Red Nose Day, but since the BBC has no concept of what's funny these days I never bothered. I looked at the listings:

Fame acadamy - Look people generally hate these shows. They only watch them because besides going to the pub, watching TV is the only non-geeky way to use your free time.

Little Britain - I can't stand this. Stupid characters in drag isn't funny. Pathetic people with bad trademark lines isn't funny. I shouldn't have to picture some fat bastard in a skin tight suit to find the line "I am the only gay in the village" funny. You have to picture it because the line itself isn't funny at all. Tension, jokes, great memorable lines, these are what makes a comedy work.

BBC's obsession with Little Britain is worrying. It is not a replacement for Only fools and horses, give us a brilliant scripted comedy. Or at least bring back "They think it's all over", it may be taking the piss out of stuff but it makes me laugh until my head hurts. Little Britain barely makes me smile.

So that's Red nose day ruined.

Also I thought about this recently.

If you insult someone because of the colour of their skin it's racist
If you insult someone because of their sex it's sexist
If you insult someone because of their age it's ageist
If you insult someone because they are gay then you are a homophobe

But if you insult someone because of their nationality, religion, height, or weight there's no words for it. Why? The closest you have is the generalised Facist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home