Wednesday, January 12, 2005

2004, What a year! Part 2

  • April/May/June

My big birthday party happened this month and I had loads of cash to spend as my aunts and uncles were throwing money at me. Several quality titles that spilled over onto May, aka Exam month, and even into June.

2 for £30 - Final Fantasy X (platinum) and Wild Arms 3

FFX (PS2):

This probably is the best Final fantasy out of the 3 I've played. It may be linear but at no point did I feel it expected me to do more. After playing FF7 and then this I soon realised I had been wrong about the series. These games had more than just turn-based battles. I enjoyed this game a lot.

Wild Arms 3 (PS2):

Definitely a hidden gem. I didn't know what to expect and was simply blown away by this. Excellent twisting plot, good music, and a good battle system. What more could you ask for?

2 for £30 - Gregory Horror Show and Pro Evo soccer 2

Pro evo 2 (PS2):

No Brainer. Basically like Pro Evo without the dreaded blue buttom. I like how West ham (London team, south of England) are named Lake District (aka Cumbria, north west of England. Right at the borders).

Gregory Horror Show (PS2):

One of those titles that you can easily say is vastly underappreciated. If greatness was measured in Sales it would be a chart topper. Quirky, unique, tense and above all fun. A must for your PS2 collection. It's a survival horror game without the weapons. You have to avoid characters by running away from them and hoping not to get caught. They follow you so you have to be fast, quick witted and good a hiding to avoid them. As you progress more and more people will chase you, increasing the tension to unbearable amounts sometimes.

Purchase - Silent Hill 3 (PS2)

After getting back into SH2 recently this was a no brainer. Unfortunately it didn't grip me at all. The plot jumps you straight into the action with little reasoning behind it. I started FFX and needless to say SH3 didn't get a second look.

Purchase - Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA):

I hated the original Metroid. I always found myself coming to a dead end and getting my arse kicked frequently. Zero Mission allowed me to experience the first title without cursing and wandering. A fantastic remake.

Cheap Purchase - Phantasy star online ep I & II

Purely for the collection. Haven't even touched it. After all I've had the GCN version for over a year prior.


Mario Golf: Toadstool tour (GCN):

I missed the N64 version so I can't really compare. It's pretty good. Short but good. The promised wacky stuff doesn't appear until late which disappointed me. Definately worth a budget purchase. BTW this was one of my brother's purchases.

  • July
Money was a real problem and Sonic Advance 3 was out. I was in crisis but I did get a couple of great games for £15 or under.

Cheap Purchase - Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2):

I couldn't believe it when I say Games final deal of the day, one day in July, Final Fantasy X-2 for £13. I got my brother to pay because I couldn't. I was severly disappointed. It's like the took every that was said bad about FFX and changed it. Level Based stuff and a non-linear game don't mix. The characters were obviously a response to "Yuna and Rikku is hot, you should make a game with just them and a hot goth chick!! OMG I think I just cum". Gameplay suffered, you cannot finish the story alone you NEED to do the sidequests. Sorry but I want to follow a story, it should be possible to do every boss as soon as you come to them. I got stuck on the Magus sisters and just couldn't bring myself to beat them. LAME! A Poor Sequel, poorly named, of a fantastic RPG.

NES Classics - Super Mario Bros (GBA):

Oddly I never actually owned this classic game. I loved every minute of this, probably the best of the NES classic games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home