Thursday, December 29, 2005

Best of 2005 MUSIC/TV/MOVIES

So it's the end of the year and like everyone I feel it's time to highlight the best parts of this year. For now I'm sticking with Music, TV, and Movies.

Oddly I don't remember going to see anything this year. That could have more to do with having no-one to go with but I can't comment on anything movie wise. Sad but true.

-------------------------------------

Music has changed in a way of how we get our music. Before you could only buy CD's/Tapes/LP's etc or see a local band live. Now MP3's are as common as muck and bands don't feel the need to release as much. You really do have to go looking to find quality and to be honest I don't look. The highlights music wise have been new albums from two of my favourite bands, Stereophonics and Foo fighters.

Stereophonics - "Language, Sex, Violence, Other?" is a great album with a very rock feel. I don't know why people ignore this in there lists, even top 100 lists. Definately a highlight for mainstream releases this year.

Foo Fighters - "In your honour" is fantastic. I love the 2 CD format. Listen to the CD you're in the mood to listen to, while overall not neglecting either side of the rock spectrum. Can think of a highlight cause they're all great.

Generally music, especially pop music, has done the impossible. It has actually gotten worse. This year we got Crazy frog, enough said. We also got even more 10 second artists that will become forgotten as soon as the next X-factor/Pop idol winner comes along.

Radio stations should be ashamed of themselves. During the year there were fads where you were guaranteed to hear these songs at least 10 times every day: "Is this the way to Amarillo", "Your Beautiful", "Wake me up when september ends" and "Crazy chick". There were other songs you know.

Live 8 was an unexpected event that just amazed. It was so great with some amazing music. A great idea let's just hope it works. I support it.

-----------------------------------------

TV has gotten worse too. We've had to suffer from the disgrace to british comedy that is Little Britain so much, BBC never bothered with anything else. Thank god it's finished and maybe we could actually have some TV programs instead.

Reality TV has also completely taken over. I didn't know how it could get any worse but they are even coming up with MORE shit reality stuff. It's so annoying. Every three months you see them rotate through Big Brother, I'm not really a celebrity get me a career, Strictly come dancing, X-factor, and some other random shit. All of which only seem to last two weeks.

We just got Space cadets which was the biggest con ever. It was supposed to be people being conned into thinking they were going into space. Yet one of the guys was in the Give Blood ad as he had something to do with Gordon Ramsey. Pathetic.

There have been some diamond in the rough, but besides the footy there hasn't been much. Here's my highlights:

Brainiac - Simply brilliant. Full of cool experiments and things that just make everything cool. You learn little things about you and the world around you with no boring subject. Some of it's just stupid with the tina turner/Diana Ross thing, and the Brainiac Golf/Snooker thing. But overall I find each episode brilliant.

Hex - A story with some great twists and some overall well thought out elements. Some things just surprise you. It's creepy, sexy and a little funny. My only criticism is that it felt dragged out towards the end and very soap opera-ry with all this sleeping around. It could've ended so easily but they kept it going.

The 4400 - Another class show. This is so well thought out it's amazing. There are moments when you realise all the smaller things lead to the big things, and each character has their part to play. The twists, the excitment, the ideas it's all been done with an incredible amount of polish. I love seeing it develop and I can't wait for the third season.

Fact hunt - Al Murray is god. Fact hunt maybe wasn't his best work but it still rocks so much. The way he interacts with people is just brilliant and never fails to make me laugh. Incidently get his new DVD "giving it both barrels", it is so funny I felt my sides split.

The Simpsons - May not be going as strongly as before, but it's still good entertainment and still a highlight of Sunday night.

Top Gear - I'm not into cars but even I can appreciate this show. It's good, funny and well structured. The features have been very entertaining.

Doctor Who - To be honest I only saw the christmas special but it was ace. Well done.

---------------------------------------

Well that's a little summary. I may think of other things to praise in these areas but for now I'm off for another night.

Oh and one last thing, My Shadow fic has been updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home