Friday, January 28, 2005

Winter-een-mas - Capcom

In the spirit of Winter-een-mas here is the first in a 3 part series of developer praise. Next will be Nintendo, then SEGA but first is CAPCOM. Here's something I typed last night which I would've posted, had my ISP not been a bitch.

Capcom

Where to begin with Capcom? Perhaps the first capcom game I remember getting into was the Megaman X series. I didn't own them but a friend did and we often went through the games together. Finding all the upgrades and kicking Sigma's arse was a normal night for us. Although that did stop after X3, I still regard the Megaman series as one where you have to own at least two, an X or a normal MM game.

What I love most about Capcom is their ability to look past sales and help every console. Even when the Saturn was dead as a door nail they were still producing games for it. Capcom brought two games of note to the ill-fated console, Marvel Super Heroes which I enjoyed but more importantly a superior port of Resident Evil. The saturn version was my first taste of the survival horror series that would become my second favourite series. My Screen name is inspired by RE as it was chosen when I became a member of Resident Evil Extreme.

More on Resident Evil later. As Sega consoles evolved from the Saturn to the Dreamcast more capcom love came. Marvel vs Capcom was an excellent game, but Capcom's crowning DC moment came with the vastly underappreciated Powerstone series. This fighter stood out from the crowd and still does. The closest anyone's come to making a fighter as fun, not to mention have four players, is Super Smash Bros. Capcom if you're reading this get working on Powerstone 3, it's long overdue.

Unfortunately while Capcom create some of the best games we've ever seen, the word Exclusive seems to have little meaning to them. The Dreamcast did have Resident Evil: Code Veronica as an exclusive until they made a PS2 version with an X added to the end. Same thing happened to all of their GCN exclusive 5, 3 of which is already coming to the PS2. You can look quite the fool when you say a certain game is never going to appear on the PS2, then it does.

Two more franchises appeared next to Resident Evil (which just went from strength to strength). Gregory Horror Show became yet another brilliant game that was vastly overlooked. But above all the greatest new thing to come from Capcom is the superb Viewtiful Joe. If VJ came before Sonic I would probably love it as much as I do Sonic.

Capcom are still interesting me. Viewtiful Joe 2 is coming, Killer 7 sounds like it will be a classic, and of course there's Resident evil 4.

In a nutshell Capcom is a varied developer that continues to impress me. They never overlook a good console and that's what I admire most. There only thing I hate is that they fail to keep their promises, but when the games are this good it's easy to forgive them.

Keep up the Good work Capcom. Have a good Winter-een-mas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home