Thursday, July 12, 2012

DIary of a Summer of Sonic veteran - SOS2012

Friday 6th July 1pm

Hotel booked, Sat Nav fully charged, everything packed, ticket printed, just to fill my car with petrol and I can start the 8 hour drive to Brighton. Here we go.

Friday 6th July 4pm

Fuck! more traffic jams, more rain, more 50mph speed limits. This trip is taking even longer, Thank Fuck for iPods.

Friday 6th July 8pm

Finally reached M25, can’t be much further. Sat-Nav won’t find GPS signal so I’m worried it’ll take forever to find the Hotel.

Friday 6th July 10:30pm

After all the traffic jams and finally getting my Sat Nav to work 20 minutes from Brighton I managed to park up and check in to my Hotel. Feeling hungry I get a BMT from Subway and check the local area. Hove Centre is literally just down the road from the hotel. Think I’ll aim to leave the hotel at 9, get some breakfast and join the queue.

Friday 6th July 11pm

Open up my Laptop. Internet isn’t all that good, frequently goes on and off. Wait what’s this, Urgent update to all Summer of Sonic attendees. I’ll just check this E-mail. Change of Venue! What the fuck. ARGH where is it now, Brighton Centre? Where’s that? Oh it’s OK, just a bit further down the main road, maybe 10-15 minute walk. Stick to the plan.

Saturday 7th July 12am

Alarm set, clothes laid out, time for bed.

Saturday 7th July 9am

Right I have my bag packed, using the same orange bag we got at SOS 2010, let’s head down the main road. Hopefully it’s not that far and I can get something to eat before the queue gets too long.

Saturday 7th July 9:30am

Arrive at Russell Road. Queue is already pretty big, haven’t had breakfast so I’ll find something once I’m inside. Turn 3DS on, gets plenty of Streetpass hits early on. Doors don’t open until 10 so there is a bit of a wait.

Saturday 7th July 10am

Ok why the fuck aren’t the doors open, come on, I’m waiting.....

Saturday 7th July 10:05am

There we go

Saturday 7th July 10:15am

Wow that was quick. Cool cloth tote bag, wait this room doesn’t seem all that big. All I see is the stage and a load of TV’s with Sega Racing Transformed. Oh there’s an upstairs, ah there’s the merch table and food. Ok breakfast time. More Streetpass hits.

Saturday 7th July 10:30am

Let’s see what’s in the bag. Sonic Universe comic, already have this one but hey it’s free can’t really complain. Sonic Generations on PC for Free, awesome. Sonic branded Stick of Rock, I’ll save that for later. Let’s check out Merch table. T-shirts, T-shirts everywhere, only go up to XL, oh well didn’t expect them to do bigger to be honest. Disappointingly no soundtracks.

Saturday 7th July 11am

Show officially starts with a tirade from Eggman, thwarted by Tails Doll and Marine. Yay it’s the Boozerman cartoon! Loved it. Said hi to Siriku but he seemed busy, said well talk later. Queue for Transformed was short, figured I’d get an early play. Picked Vyse on the panzer dragoon stage. Was pretty good, can’t wait for the finished product.

Saturday 7th July 12pm

Time for Buzzbombers. Excellent show, highlight being an unintentional joke about Elise crying. Can feel Aircon but it’s still getting pretty warm. Go get a drink from the food table, Sonic Paradox cartoon plays on the TV but there’s no sound. Fuck! It’s finished by the time I go downstairs.

Saturday 7th July 1pm

Jun comes on stage for his first show Jam with Jun. Plays some songs with some people from the Sonic fan community. Some Excellent performances all round. Gameplay videos on the screen become oddly compelling and for some reason draw my attention from the stage. I don’t seem to be the only one. Weird.

Saturday 7th July 2pm

Caught Sumo’s Q&A halfway through. Was part of the crowd chanting the Infamous “SEGA” opening used in Sonic games. Here’s hoping they got a good recording like the “Happy Birthday Sonic, Woo!” we did for Sonic Generations last year. They also did something I wanted to see at SOS for a while now, an exclusive reveal. The NiGHTS stuff looks amazing.

Saturday 7th July 3pm

Things started to quite down a bit. Upstairs was the cosplay contest with all but the final hidden away for some reason. Some of the costumes were great. Worthy winner, the top four in particular were excellent. The Banjo Kazooie costumes made me think of Ronan and Mumbo. Iizuka’s Q&A was good, crowd seamed to respond favourably to Chao Gardens making a return. With WiiU, SmartGlass and PS3/Vita the technology exists again to support proper chao gardens again. Managed to get my copy of SEGA racing signed by the guys at Sumo. StreetPass stopped getting hits for some reason.

Saturday 7th July 6pm

Club Sonic was excellent. Seemed like more people were really getting into it this year. Throwing lots of Plushies and badges into the crowd was a good idea. Got a 20th Anniversary pinbadge. Crush 40 were very loud but still incredibly awesome. I guess what I like so much about Crush 40 besides the whole Sonic link is that I’m an optimist and pretty much all their songs are optimistic, feel good songs. Refreshing change from the long list of artists who think depressing you is the only way to go.

Saturday 7th July 7:30pm

So ended another Summer of Sonic. I collected my Jacket from the Cloakroom and briefly discussed the after party with Siriku. For some reason I hadn’t thought much about what I was going to do after the show, I intended to go to whatever afterparty was going on. Assumed it was near the venue, Station bar near Hove Station….Where the fuck was Hove Station? Raced back to my Hotel, picked up a free map, literally just up the road, about five minutes from where SOS was originally meant to be held. Woo Panic over.

Saturday 7th July 8:30pm

Changed out of my sweat drenched clothes into some new ones and headed out to find the bar. Was pretty easy to find in the end. Got asked for ID, could’ve been the space invaders T-shirt I was wearing, but I’m 29 for fucks sake. Got there didn’t recognise anybody just knew they were Summer of Sonic attendees (lots of Sonic and Crush 40 T-shirts)

Saturday 7th July Afterparty

Joined Foreversonic’s table which turned out to be the “Brony” table. No I don’t watch it but I couldn’t care less what other people thought of it. Discussed the Zombie run with Siriku, would love to see him join us. More subdued this year compared to last, don’t know why, last year was excellent. Nice to see SOL from Sumo join us for a drink, I wonder why more of the guests don’t come out with us.

Sunday 8th July 12am

Finished the night hearing T-bird talk about becoming a doctor next year and his nights out in Tokyo with Jun. We all slowly left as we were kicked out of the pub. I said Goodbye to Siriku and headed back to my Hotel. The receptionist was kind enough to let me have a pint of water at the bar (to prevent a hangover next morning, usually works). Went to bed

Sunday 8th July 10am

Checked out of the hotel, loaded up my car, got some breakfast and set up my Sat Nav. It couldn’t find a signal so I couldn’t find the petrol station I had intended to use. I drove around trying to find A) the way out of the Brighton and onto the A23 and B) a petrol station I could fill up my tank with. Eventually found one and started the long journey home at 12pm.

Sunday 8th July 7:30pm

Finally arrived home, except for the time spent driving around Brighton the trip back home was a lot smoother than the trip down to Brighton. Unloaded the car, updated my Sat Nav (needed a GPS update, I’ll make sure I check that next time I go on a big trip) and checked my photos. About half of them are too blurred to upload unfortunately.

Some rough stats:

Total time spent 54.5 hours

Covering 800-ish miles

Hotel for 2 nights £140

Parking £18

Petrol around £100

Other stuff including food around £90

Total cost around £350

Mii’s collected via Streetpass: Around 100, covering around 5 new regions

With around 50 new Generations 3DS missions collected via Streetpass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home