Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Thoughts on the Videogame BAFTA's 2011

Action: Batman: Arkham City
The problem with having a Film and TV panel do game awards is that they think games should fall under the same categories. Action applies to a lot of games. Batman is awesome so I’m happy it won the award. Given the broad number of games that fall under Action I would’ve gave it to Xenoblade Chronicles.

Artistic Achievement: Rayman Origins
Good to see Style win over Technical ability. Love the style of Rayman and I’m eager to play it (Sadly lost in the Backlog). Would’ve given the award to Child of Eden though, that game is beautiful but sadly I think it wasn’t mainstream enough for BAFTA.

Audio Achievement: Battlefield 3
The only award I’m happy Battlefield won. The sound in battlefield is excellent. Would’ve given the award to Child of Eden though. Sound plays too much of a role in Child of Eden with some original ideas setting it apart from other on rail shooters.

Best Game: Portal 2I’d like to think BAFTA didn’t play Xenoblade Chronicles either but I’m happy Portal 2 won. It was my number 2 and it shows the critics do have some taste, even if the public does not.

Debut Game: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Not played but can’t think of many good debuts this year. Maybe Xenoblade although I’m not sure if that was Monolith soft’s first game.

Design: Portal 2
No brainer. Portal 2 all the way.

Family: LittleBigPlanet 2
Not got around to playing LBP2. The first was ace though sadly to a Yellow light of Death I lost all my data. Initially I thought Sonic Generations and Mario 3D land should’ve been nominated but when the show started talking about it, LBP2 was an obvious choice and I can see why those two weren’t. LBP2 is probably the best co-op game aimed at everyone rather than shooting fanatics. Although Rayman could’ve taken this one too.

Game Innovation: LittleBigPlanet 2
A sequel wins Innovation, really? Should’ve gone to Child of Eden, or maybe Xenoblade, Ghost trick if it was eligible would also be a candidate. Skyward sword too would’ve been a worthy winner.

Mobile & Handheld: Peggle HD
OK now this one is a cheat. Peggle did not come out last year, it’s much older. Way too much focus on mobile gaming and not handheld. Only Mario 3D land was nominated outside of mobile games. Serious this jerky flash shit is not the future of games. Notable exclusions include Ocarina of Time 3DS (if Peggle is nominated OOT should be), Ghost trick (may not be eligible as it was out in Jan last year and should’ve been in last years awards), Mario Kart 7, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (which admittedly I haven’t played those two) and Okamiden. Peggle is awesome but it came out ages ago it shouldn’t have been nominated. Not Sure if Resident Evil: Revelations counted for this year either.

Online - Browser: Monstermind
Don’t care about this award. The only browser game I played was that Assassin’s Creed Facebook game.

Online - Multiplayer: Battlefield 3
Fair enough I guess. I prefer Modern Warfare 3 and Gears of war 3 but Battlefield 3 can be fun if you have a good squad. Maybe Marvel vs Capcom 3 should’ve got this, or Portal 2 although that lacks competitive multiplayer. Portal 2’s co-op campaign is ace. Tough call, I’d probably give it to Gears 3 due to its wealth of modes.

Original Music: LA Noire
Not heard this soundtrack. As a Video game music connoisseur I have to say there have been some cracking soundtracks including Sonic Generations, Xenoblade Chronicles, Child of Eden, and Marvel vs Capcom 3. The Sonic fanboy in me is screaming Sonic Generations but I would give the award to Xenoblade, such a fantastic score.

Performer: Mark Hamill, for The Joker in Batman: Arkham City
Definitely. Either him or Stephen Merchant, J.K. Simmons or Ellen McLain for Portal 2. Also the Sonic, Resident Evil and Assassin’s Creed fan in me has to give props to Roger Craig Smith for Sonic Generations, Marvel vs Capcom and Assassin’s Creed Revelations.

Sports/Fitness: Kinect Sports 2
Another award I don’t particular care about. Though I will say Racing should not be included in this category. As far as gaming goes, Racing is too well defined a genre to share it with the likes of FIFA.

Story: Portal 2
Another one I agree with (see my Game of the Year post). Ghost Trick’s excellent “Page Turner” story and Xenoblade’s good balance of length and excitement also get a mention from me.

Strategy: Total War: Shogun 2
Another award I don’t care about. I can’t think of a single strategy game that excited me this year.

BAFTA Ones to Watch Award: Tick Tock Toys
Another pro mobile gaming award though to be fair there weren’t many newbies on the console scene. Monolth Soft for Xenoblade maybe, I’m still not sure how new they are.

GAME Award of 2011: Battlefield 3
Annoyed but not surprised given the love for this game. I personally find it dull and desperately needing a multiplayer tutorial for newcomers. I guess a good multiplayer experience is one people will remember over a solid single player experience. Personally I voted for Portal 2, but I would’ve been happy if Batman or Skyrim won it.

So predictions for next year

*Action: Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite or Resident Evil: Revelations.
*Artistic Achievement: Bioshock Inifinite
*Audio Achievement: Bioshock Infinite or Mass Effect 3
*Best Game: Mass Effect 3
*Debut Game: Kingdoms of Alamur perhaps
*Design: Bioshock Infinite is looking promising, Maybe Catherine
*Family: Honestly don’t know
*Game Innovation: Again looking like Bioshock unless something brilliant comes up
*Mobile & Handheld: Resident Evil: Revelations.
*Online - Browser: Honestly don’t know
*Online - Multiplayer: Street Fighter X Tekken
*Original Music: Bioshock
*Performer: The cast of Mass Effect 3 so far, Maybe Bioshock
*Sports/Fitness: no idea
*Story: Bioshock or Mass Effect
*Strategy: no idea
*BAFTA Ones to Watch Award: no idea
*GAME Award of 2011: Bioshock or Mass Effect 3

Would probably be able to give better answers after E3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home